The Writers Lab USSubscribe
The Lab aims to build skills, confidence and community, and to prepare writers for collaborative work and market demands.
2022 Winners on Coverfly
At the program's request, Coverfly will automatically remove your title page for you if you include one when submitting to this program.
1. Applicants must be at least 40 years old on or before the Lab: born on or before November 7, 1983.
2. Because The Writers Lab serves women and non-binary writers over 40, applicants must identify as women or non-binary. We honor the fact that gender is personal and specific and seek to create an inclusive and supportive community.
3. TWL US applicants may be residents and/or citizens of any country.
4. Submissions must be feature-length screenplays OR pilots (both 1-hour and ½-hour accepted) in English. NO script fragments, treatments, synopses, shorts, stage plays, book excerpts, or documentaries. (A per-page surcharge will be levied on feature scripts 130+ pages and on pilot scripts 75+ pages.)
5. Scripts by more than one writer will be considered, but all writers must meet all eligibility requirements, including age and gender.
6. Each Applicant may submit up to three (3) scripts, with a separate application for each script submitted.
7. The Lab seeks a broad selection of scripts across all genres of fiction (drama, comedy, horror, action, thriller, science fiction, animation, musical, etc.). Scripts may be about any topic and don’t need to be specifically about women, but we definitely notice scripts that feature women characters, especially if they transcend cliches and/or challenge norms.
8. The Lab seeks submissions from all racial, ethnic, socioeconomic, and cultural groups.
Requirements - The following materials are required for your application and must be submitted electronically:
- Contact information (name, email address, contact phone number, mailing address)
- Biographical and demographic information, including birth date
- Script information, including genre, log line, format
- Responses to all questions in the application
- PDF of a feature-length or pilot narrative screenplay (with the writer's name removed)
- Script Registration, Acceptance of Terms & Conditions, Payment