NBCU LAUNCH TV Directors Program | Female ForwardEnter Now
The combined NBCU LAUNCH TV Directors Program | Female Forward is NBCU’s groundbreaking scripted directing program created with the goal to systemically increase the number of experienced directors of underrepresented backgrounds in episodic television.
The NBCU LAUNCH TV Directors Program | Female Forward’s goal is to increase authentic storytelling by providing opportunities for directors who have distinct points of view and diverse lived experiences, including but not limited to those who are from historically underrepresented backgrounds, such as directors who are ethnically diverse, directors with disabilities, LGBTQ+ directors, female directors, and directors who identify as non-binary. The combined program builds on the company’s success as the first episodic directing initiative in the entertainment industry to guarantee that participants will helm at least one episode by the culmination of the program. Each participant shadows on up to two episodes of an NBCU scripted series before directing an in-season episode of the same series.
Applicants are encouraged to review the FAQs carefully as they are designed to guide you in creating a strong submission at www.nbcuniversallaunch.com/tv-directors-program-female-forward.
Prices & Deadlines
Application Closing Date
Submission to NBCU LAUNCH TV Directors Program
The annual program is designed for experienced directors who want to break into episodic directing and are accomplished in their respective fields including, but not limited to full-length feature films, short films, commercials, music videos, digital content/webseries, and unscripted programming.
No announcement dates listed.
SUBMISSION PERIOD AND PROGRAM TIMELINE
Applications will be accepted November 15, 2022 through December 15, 2022. Applications will not be accepted after 11:59 p.m. Pacific Time on December 15, 2022.
Targeted Program Launch is June 2023.
Applicant must be authorized to work legally in the United States. This position is not eligible for visa sponsorship.
Applicants must be at least 21 years of age as of June 1, 2023.
Must have directing experience in respective fields including but not limited to full-length feature films, short films, music videos, commercials, digital content/webseries, and unscripted programming.
Applicants who have more than one directing credit on a broadcast, cable, or streaming series are ineligible.
Those applying must submit a complete application package, which includes the following items:
1. APPLICATION must be completed in its entirety. Incomplete applications will be disqualified.
2. TWO DIRECTING SAMPLES that capture the director's unique visual style and viewability to direct performers. All samples must be scripted, live-action narrative content. Only scripted feature films, short films, and webisodes will be accepted as eligible directing samples. Animation, documentary, unscripted content, compilations, and sizzle reels are not accepted as directing samples and will not be reviewed. The applicant must be the sole director of all samples submitted.
Delivery requirements: We only accept samples via online streaming links. You must provide an online streaming link and password, using Vimeo or YouTube. Your samples should be available for at least six months after you submit your application. Please do not update or change your uploaded file or its password once you submit your application. Please double-check that you have entered the password correctly (remembering that passwords are case sensitive). If we do not have the correct password, we will not be able to evaluate your samples. We do not accept WeTransfer, Dropbox, Google Drive, or other such file-transfer services for the visual material delivery.
3. RELEASE FORM must be completed, signed, and dated in order for submissions to be accepted. An incomplete release form will result in disqualification.
4. RÉSUMÉ outlining chronological paid employment history (may include entertainment and non-entertainment positions) and any directing-related honors/awards. Positions must have been held within the past 15 years (two pages or less). Only list compensated positions, with the exception of entertainment industry internships and full-time volunteer work at non-profits. If listing directing projects, only include projects that were produced. The applicant’s résumé will provide us an understanding of their work history and insight into their individual life experiences.
5. PERSONAL ESSAYS that articulate the applicant’s unique perspective and background as it relates to their creative process. Applicant must answer both essay questions, and EACH essay must not exceed 400 words.
6. (OPTIONAL) LETTERS OF RECOMMENDATION from entertainment industry professionals who have watched the applicant’s work and can comment on the applicant’s directing ability. Letters of recommendation are strongly encouraged, but not required. Acceptable letters must be on business or personal letterhead, dated in the current calendar year and include the author’s title and/or industry affiliation. No more than two letters per application will be accepted. Letters must accompany the submission and may not be submitted separately via email or mail. Any recommendation letters emailed or mailed to the Program separate from the director’s’ application will will not be accepted. Letter(s) from agents, managers, attorneys, etc. are considered a conflict of interest and will not be considered.
Any candidate who does not meet the aforementioned criteria will be disqualified.
Due to the volume of submissions received, only those applicants who are selected to participate in the Program will be notified. Applicants who are not selected will not be notified. Please check our website and social media pages for updates on the selection process. Selections will be announced a few weeks before the Program commences.