Long-recognized by the industry as an avenue to scout unique, diverse voices, short-form content has become a vital calling card in attracting representation or seeing a proof-of-concept adapted into a feature. Film Pipeline eases the immense challenge of making a short by collaborating with selected entrants from development to production. Open to any genre, experimental or narrative, the contest supports imaginative storytellers in carrying their vision to screen.
After two decades of discovering new projects through screenwriting, TV writing, and pitch competitions, Pipeline Media Group (PMG) brings a dynamic, hands-on process of industry facilitation to Film Pipeline. This allows both emerging and seasoned filmmakers a shot at financing and producing their work, as well as spotlighting their talents to garner interest from execs capable of advancing careers.
Winner and runner-up awarded:
- $5,000 film financing to winner; $1,000 split between runners-up
- Script development and notes from Film Pipeline's executive team
- Industry exposure to specific partners for production support
- Additional reviews of other film and TV scripts, with circulation consideration
- Potential financing for future short scripts
- Invitations to annual writer and industry events hosted by Pipeline Media Group
- Any genre accepted, including non-narrative or experimental shorts, proof-of concepts, and teasers.
- We don’t have any requirements, and all script lengths are accepted, but the submission must be intended as a short film or digital series pilot. Anything from one to (roughly) 50 pages for short films, and 30 pages max for pilots. Feature-length scripts and longer "traditional" TV pilots may be entered in any open Script Pipeline competition.
- Script must be unproduced at the time of entry. Produced films are allowed only in the Short Film Competition. If the film is produced any time after entry into the competition, it will still be eligible for awards.
- Only completed scripts are allowed. No pitches.
- If submitting a proof-of-concept script, supplemental info on the project, such as the synopsis for a feature, is more than welcome. We'll review a full package or proposal in addition to the short script.
- Cover page should include the title only. Remove any contact information (name, email address, etc.) on the script. Logline and genre on the title page is preferred, but not required. If contact info is left on the script, we'll adjust the file accordingly (errors on the cover page will not result in disqualification).
- Co-writers allowed. Only one writer needs to register.
- Any file format. PDF should be standard, however.
- No limit on the number of entries. Each entry is a separate fee.
- Simultaneous submissions are of course allowed (i.e. you can enter other contests with the same script).
- All rights to the material remain with the entrant, whether they place as a finalist or not.
- Electronic submissions only. No mailed entries.