Book Pipeline: AdaptationEnter Now
The Book Pipeline: Adaptation competition seeks published books, graphic novels, short stories, and plays for film and television adaptation.
Both traditional and self-published material accepted. There are no genre restrictions, and judging criteria is based on concept originality, marketability in the current landscape, and overall writing talent.
Since 2014, Book Pipeline has helped authors develop their work into screenplays and pilots, connect with production companies, and open up new avenues for those looking to make the transition to the film/TV industry.
Prices & Deadlines
Winner and finalists receive one-on-one assistance from Book Pipeline execs prior to industry exposure, in addition to the following:
- $10,000 to winner, $2,000 to 2 runners-up ($1,000 each)
- Extensive project development to prepare a film or TV series pitch or script
- Long-term circulation and promotion to producers and other execs
- Consideration of other material and circulation of other stories to industry
- Invitations to annual writer and industry events hosted by Pipeline Media Group
Submitted books, graphic novels, and short stories must already be published in some form (traditional publishing or self-publishing). Stage plays must have been published and/or produced. Unpublished material can be submitted to Book Pipeline: Unpublished.
Entries are judged on the basis of concept originality, writing ability, and the property’s viability as a scripted film or television series. Judging is done internally by Pipeline development executives.
NOTE - a synopsis is required for all submissions
For books: approximately the first 5,000 words only + full story synopsis (1-3 pages)
For graphic novels: selected pages + full story synopsis
For short stories: the complete short story + brief overview or synopsis
For plays: selected pages up to approximately 5,000 words + full story synopsis
- Book Pipeline does not take a percentage of any future option or sale of your work, and all rights remain with the author, regardless of their final placement in the competition.
- PDF or Word doc preferred. If you only have a hardcopy of your book, we'll accept image files of the first 5,000 words (appx.) rather than require a mailed-in copy. The synopsis, however, should be sent as a PDF.
- No limit on the number of entries. Each entry is a separate fee.
- Supplemental documents (illustrations, additional information or media, etc.) are entirely optional and may be emailed separately after registering.
- Simultaneous submissions are allowed (i.e., you can submit the material elsewhere while in competition).
- Entries must already be published.
- The film AND television rights must be available at the time of entry. If the material is acquired by a production company or other entity after the time of entry, we'll withdraw from competition.
- Co-written works are acceptable. Only one writer needs to register.
- Will accept entries submitted by a publisher so long as the author's consent is given.
- Must be at least eighteen (18) years of age at time of entry.