The Writers Lab UK & EuropeSubscribe
- Individualized feedback, insights and guidance regarding their craft and their projects;
- Understanding of industry standards, practices, expectations and trends, and strategies and resources for navigating them;
- A community of peers and a network of relationships that can extend well beyond the 4-day programme;
- Preparation for more: Alumni of the pioneering US programme, now entering its seventh year, have landed writer-for-hire jobs (7); signed with managers or agents (8); won competitions, awards and grants (many); and 4 TWL US projects have been optioned or moved into production.
Producing, partnering and supporting entities of TWL UK & I include:
- TWL US co-founders Elizabeth Kaiden and Nitza Wilon
- UK partner Untamed Stories producers Julia Berg and Ruth Spencer
- Dirty Films
- Birds’ Eye View
- New York Women in Film & Television
- Screen Scotland
- Northern Ireland Screen
- Screen Skills Ireland
- Ffilm Cymru Wales & BFI NETWORK with funding from the National Lottery
2022 Participants on Coverfly
At the program's request, Coverfly will automatically remove your title page for you if you include one when submitting to this program.
Applicants must identify as women (cis, trans, nonbinary) and be at least 40 years old: born on or before June 10, 1981.
Applicants must be residents of Scotland, England, Wales, Northern Ireland or the Republic of Ireland, or Welsh Nationals.
Submissions must be feature-length screenplays OR pilots (both 1-hour and ½-hour accepted) in English. (No script fragments, treatments, synopses, shorts, stage plays, book excerpts, or documentaries. A per-page surcharge will be levied on feature scripts 130+ pages and on pilot scripts 75+ pages.)
Scripts by more than one writer will be considered, but all writers must identify as women and be over 40.
Each Applicant may submit up to three (3) scripts, with a separate application for each script submitted.
The Lab seeks a broad selection of scripts across all genres of fiction (drama, comedy, horror, action, thriller, science fiction, animation, musical, etc.). Scripts may be about any topic and do not specifically need to be about women, but we definitely notice scripts that feature women characters, especially if they transcend cliches and/or challenge norms.
The Lab seeks submissions from all racial, ethnic, socioeconomic, and cultural groups and seeks to reflect the diversity of populations across Scotland, England, Wales, Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland.
Biographical and Contact Information (name, email address, contact phone number, mailing address, birth date.)
Residence and Nationality
PDF of a feature-length or pilot narrative screenplay (NAME REMOVED)
Terms & Conditions and Payment
We strongly recommend that you register your script for copyright if it is not already registered. Registration is quick and easy, and will protect you and The Lab staff and volunteers:
- THE SCRIPT VAULT
- OR The Writers Guild, East. The WGAE has offered the discounted price of $17 ≈ £12 to all Lab applicants. Click to register: Writers Guild of America, East (select "Student and NYWIFT/The Writers Lab" option.)
The script must be in PDF format. PDFs must be labeled with the project name only. DO NOT include the name of the screenwriter(s) ANYWHERE on the PDF. REMOVE YOUR NAME FROM ALL PAGES OF YOUR SCRIPT, including the cover page.
Complete the electronic application filling in ALL fields.
Agree to the Terms and Conditions.
Pay the non-refundable application fee.