Stowe Story Labs is partnering with the storied Sidewalk Film Festival to inaugurate a Stowe Story Labs/Sidewalk Narrative Lab to be held at the Sidewalk Film Festival in Birmingham, Alabama, August 21 – 24, 2019.
By way of background, Stowe Story Labs is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit collaborative that brings the world’s top emerging screenwriters, filmmakers, and creative producers together with seasoned industry professionals to help get work made and seen. Through our labs, retreats, workshops, and mentoring programs, we help participants develop the skills, tools, and capacity to make meaningful work. To learn more, click here.
The inaugural four-day Sidewalk Narrative Lab will feature:
- Skill development and focus on story structure, character and theme; conversation about story; packaging; elements of creative production; casting; adaptation; and finance and distribution
- Direct access to working industry professionals, top in their fields
- Opportunities to build knowledge, skills and insights to navigate the film industry
- A network of talented peers, vital in this collaborative art and business workshop, roundtable and social time
- A beautiful, dynamic, and historic setting to develop your craft!
You can see a typical agenda here.
Partial Scholarships Available
The Stowe Story Labs Sidewalk Narrative Lab will be limited to about twenty participants and will offer admitted applicants:
- Focus on story structure, character, and theme; conversation about story; packaging; elements of creative production; casting; adaptation; and finance & distribution
- An opportunity to work with top industry professionals at the Lab itself and if interested ongoing mentoring with one of Stowe Story Labs' industry mentors
- A network of talented peers, vital in this collaborative art and business
- Workshop, roundtables, and social time
- A dynamic, historic, and vibrant setting to develop your craft!
- We make sure there is plenty of food and drink through the day and evening, so food cost as well is kept to a minimum and social time with participants and mentors allow for relaxed conversations
- Admission to the Sidewalk Lab will qualify participants for all other Stowe Story Labs offerings
Lab Participants will have a Sidewalk Festival VIP badge (which provides access to all Fest weekend films, multiple parties / receptions, VIP lounge, and more), a $300 value
Confirmed mentors to the Sidewalk Narrative Lab include:
- LA-based Creative Producer and Head of SAGindie, Darrien Michele Gipson is an M.F.A. recipient from the Peter Stark Producing Program at the University of Southern California and was formerly Vice President of Production for DEF Pictures.
- NYC-based screenwriter and creative producer Robyn Greene Arrington is an award-winning screenwriter and television producer with extensive experience shepherding network programming and production, producing award-winning films and series, and writing compelling content for series, marketing campaigns, and episode wraps. She is also a joy to work with. Robyn serves on the Stowe Story Labs Board of Directors.
- Birmingham-based television director Rachel Raimist has helmed episodes of Queen Sugar and Greenleaf for OWN. She is most known as the award-winning director of Nobody Knows My Name, the first documentary film about women in hip-hop. Her work often centers stories of women, music and youth culture, and has aired on HBO, VH1, PBS, and the BBC, and screened at numerous international film festivals including SXSW, Women in the Director’s Chair and others around the globe. Rachel is as well a tenured professor of media production at the University of Alabama.
- NYC-based creative producer Anne Hubbell is the co-founder of Tangerine Entertainment, the first production company and community builder focused on media by women directors. Her producing credits include KEEP THE CHANGE (2017), THE LAST LAUGH (2016), PAINT IT BLACK (2016), GAYBY (2012), LIPSTICK & DYNAMITE (2004), seasons of IFC’s Independent Focus (2001) and iFilm@IFC (1999), along with independent shorts and web content.
To learn more about Stowe Story Labs mentors, please click here.
Log in or Sign Up
Choose a category