Pittsburgh Shorts and Script CompetitionSubscribe
Pittsburgh Shorts and Script Competition has earned a reputation for presenting the best international contemporary short films and scripts in the Pittsburgh region. We are dedicated to the art of short film, which we know starts on the page. That’s why we boost writers through a script competition in partnership with Carnegie Screenwriters where we continually seek out new voices. We pride ourselves on our reasonable entrance fees, cash prizes, travel assistance, and all-festival and all-conference passes for finalists. The winner of the Script Competition will receive a $500 prize and a 1-hour consultation with a Roadmap Writers executive. And all writers who submit a script to the competition receive a free educational webinar of their choice from Roadmap Writers.
The festival includes a filmmakers’ lounge, after parties, networking opportunities, and other fun events. We also have a filmmakers’ conference where industry experts lead panels, workshops, and a pitch competition. The winner of the pitch competition receives three free pitches with written or verbal feedback from an executive of their choice from Roadmap Writers.
The 2023 script competition juror will be Christopher Lockhart, Hollywood story executive and founder of The Inside Pitch.
- Cash Prizes - first place: $500, second place: $250, third place: $150, fourth place: $100.
- First place winner receives a 1-hour consultation with a Roadmap Writers executive.
- All four finalist scripts are given a well-attended staged reading performed by professional actors.
- Synopses of finalist scripts and writers' names are listed publicly on our website and in our program guide.
- Finalists receive laurels to use in their own marketing.
- Finalists receive a complimentary all-festival badge including admission to the 2023 Filmmaker Conference.
- Travel assistance is offered to any finalist who wishes to attend festival.
- Finalists receive free submissions to all future festivals.
2022 Finalists on Coverfly
Pittsburgh Shorts is open to all screenwriters, including students and professionals in the field.
Eligible scripts must adhere to the following criteria:
Screenplay submissions must be in English and be 15 pages or fewer.
Scripts over 15 pages will not be considered nor will they be read
• Entrant(s) must hold all rights to perform, reproduce, display, and distribute their work
• The work must not have been previously optioned, sold, or produced
Entrants may submit more than one film or script. Each entry requires a separate submission and fee.