Female Voices Rock Film FestivalSubscribe
Female Voices Rock is dedicated to supporting female storytellers in the entertainment industry. Our mission is to incite and inspire change that builds a foundation of equality and diversity, ensuring that every voice is heard and championed.
In 2018, women comprised only 20% of all directors, writers, producers, executive producers, editors, and cinematographers working on the top 250 US domestic-grossing films. This is just a snapshot of the current landscape for female creators across the globe. At Female Voices Rock, we believe it’s time to amplify the voices that have not been heard before.
BIPOC, LGBTQ+ voices, and other marginalized voices are not given equal space and have been left to fight for themselves for too long. We are using our platform to create space for the important stories that need to be told, the films that have not be seen, the creators who have not been given an opportunity, and we are here to support filmmakers to the fullest of our abilities through educational programming, workshops, webinars, and networking events.
We are committed to increasing the industry's diversity and revolutionizing the filmmaking space by uplifting those left in the background.
This year, we plan to showcase the best in women-directed films, focusing on equality and women's rights. The festival will take place in October in 2024, featuring a rockin'' kick-off party and a much-anticipated awards gala!
Female Voices Rock is on a Mission:
At Female Voices Rock, we are on a mission to champion female storytellers within the entertainment industry. Our unwavering commitment is to spark change that fosters a bedrock of equality and diversity, ensuring that every voice finds its place in the spotlight.
Changing the Landscape:
In 2018, women accounted for a mere 20% of all directors, writers, producers, executive producers, editors, and cinematographers in the top 250 US domestic-grossing films. This snapshot of the industry is indicative of a broader global reality. At Female Voices Rock, we firmly believe it's time to amplify the voices that have long been unheard.
A Platform for All Marginalized Voices:
BIPOC, LGBTQ+ voices, and other marginalized groups have struggled for far too long to secure equal footing. Our mission is to carve out space for vital, untold stories, unseen films, and underrepresented creators. Through educational programming, workshops, webinars, and networking events, we provide unwavering support to filmmakers, enabling them to thrive.
By elevating those who've been relegated to the background, we are fully committed to enhancing diversity within the industry and sparking a revolution in filmmaking.
Meet Our Esteemed Past Jurors
- Tracy Kopulsky: A seasoned manager at Grandview Management Firm, Tracy's career journey began at William Morris Endeavor and MXN Management. She specializes in working with filmmakers and writers in both TV and film, focusing on elevated genre and smart, edgy comedy. Tracy's impressive credits include TULLY, QUEEN & SLIM, BIG TIME ADOLESCENCE, and more.
- Halle Marnier: Halle's career trajectory started in film sales at Shoreline Entertainment and Preferred Content before she earned her role as an Agent in the Motion Picture Literary Department at APA Talent Agency. Her mission is to advocate for writers and directors who are underrepresented in the film industry.
- Diana Ossana: Diana transitioned from a legal career to become a prolific writer and producer. Her collaboration with Larry McMurtry spans two novels, essays, and over forty feature film scripts. Diana's accolades include winning the Best Adapted Screenplay Academy Award for Brokeback Mountain.
- Audrey Knox: Audrey is a TV literary manager at Cartel Entertainment, a company known for its clients on popular shows such as It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia, The Vampire Diaries, Star Trek: Discovery, and more.
Stay Tuned for New Jurors:
While we cherish the insights and expertise of our past jurors, we're excited to announce that new jurors will soon be joining us to evaluate this year's outstanding submissions. Keep an eye out for updates as we assemble another panel of esteemed industry professionals to help us celebrate the incredible talent at Female Voices Film Festival!
2022 Winners on Coverfly
At the program's request, Coverfly will automatically remove your title page for you if you include one when submitting to this program.
Screenplay Competition Rules:
1. Electronic Submissions: Submissions are accepted exclusively through electronic submission.
2. Entry Fees: Entry fees are as listed on the site and checkout form.
3. Script Length Guidelines:
- TV Pilots: Any length, but standard 1/2 hour (20 - 40 pages) and hour-long (40 - 70 pages).
- Feature Screenplays: Minimum 75 pages, maximum 150 pages.
- Shorts any length but recommended to stay under 20 pages.
4. Multiple Submissions: There is no limit to the number of projects you may submit.
5. Submission Deadline: Entries must be received by 11:59 PM Pacific Time on or before the deadline dates, with the submission fee paid in full at the time of submission. All entry fees are non-refundable.
6. Original Material: All submitted material must be original, and the rights must be owned by the writer(s).
7. Submission by Writers: Material must be submitted by the writer. In the case of writing teams, at least one female writer must be part of the team.
8. Ownership Rights Female Voices Rock does not claim ownership or options on your work. All rights to submitted scripts remain with the original rights holders.
9. Judging Decision: The judges' decision will be final and cannot be contested in any manner. Advancement is based on the overall scores in the competition, and no specific score guarantees advancement.
10. Deadline Changes: Female Voices Rock reserves the right to change the deadline and announcement dates as needed.
11. Rule Amendments: Female Voices Rock reserves the right to amend these rules anytime.
Please ensure your screenplay complies with these rules for the Female Voices Rock Screenplay Competition.