Big Apple Film Festival Screenplay CompetitionSubscribe
Big Apple Film Festival and Screenplay Competition (Fall Edition) takes place in the heart of NYC. BAFF presents selected films as a live in person event, as well as additional selections presented virtually.
BAFF, named one of MovieMaker Magazine's top "25 Film Festivals Worth The Entry Fee,” top "25 Coolest Film Festivals,”, CBS New York's "Best Film Festivals in New York...,” and FilmFreeway's "Top 100 Best Reviewed Festivals", is dedicated to showcasing, highlighting and supporting the most innovative, purposeful and influential filmmakers and screenwriters.
Credits of our screenplay competition readers/judges include:
- Script analyst who has provided coverage for outlets including HBO, Sony International, Amazon and Sundance Feature Lab, instructor for UCLA MFA program, as well as mentor for CineStory TV writers program
- Script analyst providing coverage for Academy of Motion Pictures Arts and Sciences Academy Nicholl Fellowship, NBC/Universal Studios Writers Program, Writers Guild of America-West, Final Draft Big Break Screenplay Competition
- script reader previously for Warner Brothers, assisted in creative development at New Line Cinemas and NBCUniversal, consulted writers who have placed as Academy Nicholl Fellowship semifinalists
- writer/producer who has had films released by Disney, Starz Network and Warner Home Video
- writer for ABC, who has previously written and developed projects for Spike TV and The Weinstein Company
- writer/director who has had films released by Warner Brothers, Paramount and HBO
- script reader previously for Tri-Coast Worldwide and Rocksalt Releasing
- Tribeca Film Festival award winner
PREVIOUS SCREENPLAY COMPETITION WINNERS AND FINALISTS INCLUDE: Shia LaBeouf (SAG Award, People's Choice Award and Independent Spirit Award nominee), Ron Friedman(Emmy nominee and WGA Award winner), Jyllian Gunther(Emmy Award winner, producer for NBC, ABC, A&E), Henry Sarwer-Foner(Directors Guild of Canada Award nominee), Daniel Talbott (writer ABC's "The Conners", "The Mist" produced by The Weinstein Company and Spike TV), Michael Vaynberg (writer/director Cannes Film Festival selection "9.8 m/s²"), Shruti Tewari (member of the Sundance Collab Directing Program), Bill Brock (Semi-Finalist - Stage 32 Feature Screenwriting Contest), Ken Krauss (writer "Tom, Dick, & Harriet" - Hallmark Channel), Kevin Emerson (author of over twenty novels published by HarperCollins, Random House, Scholastic), Linda Shayne (writer/director "Undercover Kid" released by WARNER BROTHERS, HBO Family, "Little Ghost,” distributed by PARAMOUNT video airing on HBO), Chris Phillips (Finalist - Sundance Institute Development Track, Award for Overall Excellence in Playwriting-New York International Fringe Festival), Maia Henkin (Second Round Austin Film Festival Screenplay Competition, repped by Abrams Artists Agency), and many more...
ABOUT OUR INDUSTRY NETWORKING CONFERENCES:
All submitters to the festival, whether their project is selected or not selected, will receive COMPLIMENTARY admission to the Big Apple Film Festival Networking conferences, taking place in conjunction with the Big Apple Film Festival (Fall Edition), taking place November 1-5, 2021.
The purpose of the conferences is to provide an opportunity for filmmakers and screenwriters to receive valuable information from industry professionals through a series of panel discussions, as well as an opportunity for attendees to participate in Q and A’s, networking sessions and nightly receptions.
BAFF's network of speakers in previous events have include: representatives from HBO, NBCUniversal, staff writers from CBS, ABC, and Lifetime, Academy Award winning Killer Films, Film Rise(distributor of numerous Oscar Award winning and Emmy Award winning films), Emmy Award winning Gigantic Productions, Cinepointe Advisors(legal counsel on numerous Oscar nominated films), StoneStreet Studios, Endeavor Content, Academy Award nominated and Emmy Award winning filmmakers, Academy Award and Emmy Award winning screenwriters, Filmmakers with projects released through Sony Pictures, Disney, LionsGate, Warner Brothers, Showtime, Amazon Studios, Netflix and Hulu, Sundance, Tribeca, SXSW alumni and more…
SPEAKERS TO BE ANNOUNCED IN OCTOBER...
In an effort to continue mentorship and networking opportunities, the festival also offers additional virtual networking conferences with industry professionals throughout the year. In addition, throughout the year BAFF offers Agents and Managers Networking Labs for filmmakers and screenwriters currently seeking representation. The purpose of these labs is to provide writers and filmmakers with direct access and networking opportunities with top agents and managers to discuss their projects and receive valuable feedback. For more information on our labs visit https://www.bigapplefilmfestival.com/networkingevents.
Screenplay winners in each category will receive small group meetings with established producers and other industry representatives. These meetings are designed to provide winning screenwriters with direct access and live interaction with industry professionals to provide strategies, guidance and mentorship to emerging screenwriters. Conferences take place virtually allowing participants to join remotely. BAFF's network of speakers in previous events have included representatives from: HBO, NBCUniversal, Academy Award winning Killer Films, William Morris Endeavor Agency, The Gersh Agency, Magnolia Pictures, Film Rise(distributor of numerous Oscar Award winning and Emmy Award winning films), Emmy Award winning Gigantic Productions, Cinepointe Advisors(legal counsel on numerous Oscar nominated films), Academy Award nominated and Emmy Award winning filmmakers, Academy Award and Emmy Award winning screenwriters, Fimmakers with projects released through Sony, Disney, Lions Gate, HBO, Showtime, Netflix, Amazon Studios, Hulu, and theatrically, as well as staff writers for CBS, ABC, Lifetime, and more...
Winning screenplays will be promoted to Big Apple Film Festival's list of alumni filmmakers, many of which include filmmakers who have had film released theatrically, as well as on numerous major distribution platforms, including Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, HBO, iTunes, NBCUniveral and more...
Screenplay Competition winners will receive a complimentary all access badge to Big Apple Film Festival events, including screenings, networking conferences and receptions.
Winners will receive a complimentary InkTip listing, which will provide access to InkTip's entire network of producers, filmmakers, agents and managers. Producers have made over 400 films discovered thru InkTip.
In an effort to continue mentorship and networking opportunities, the festival also offers additional virtual networking conferences with industry professionals throughout the year, as well as Agents and Managers Networking Labs for writers and filmmakers currently seeking representation. For more information on our labs visit https://www.bigapplefilmfestival.com/networkingevents.
2021 Spring Edition Winners on Coverfly
1. Big Apple Film Festival Screenplay Competition accepts feature length screenplays in the following categories(drama, comedy, action/adventure, historical, science fiction, women screenwriters, Faith Based, LGBTQ, and horror/thriller), as well as short scripts and TV/web series/episodic pilot scripts in the following categories(drama, comedy, women screenwriters and horror/thriller). Feature length scripts must be a minimum of 60 pages and no longer than 150 pages. Short script submissions and TV/web series/episodic pilot scripts may not exceed 60 pages.
2. Submitted screenplays can not have been optioned, purchased, or otherwise produced at the time of submission.
3. Writers may submit as many screenplays as they’d like to the competition, however each script requires a separate application and payment.
4.All entries must be submitted in English.
5.Submissions must include the title, author(s) and any relevant registration or copyright information.
6. Screenplays must be submitted in PDF or MS WORD.
7.All screenplays are considered complete once they are received by the Big Apple Film Festival. No revisions or updated copies will be accepted.
8. Submission fees are non-refundable.